Merry Christmas! And a Present....! (?)

Merry Christmas to all of you! As per my occasional tradition, I wanted to post a Christmas present for you all. There are some secret doors on the Fairy Tale Novel website (see the FairyTaleNovel forum for more details) but I also thought I'd post this video made by my siblings, just to show you what they do when I'm not around...

Some of you may know that I'm the oldest of ten children (yes, Martin Doman of Steubenville song fame is my younger brother, and so are the various other Doman men who've sung at various conferences and venues: I occasionally get asked that). For years our family has been a fan of Roger Whittaker's first Christmas album (available on iTunes) and his eclectic Christmas tale Darcy the Dragon, a somewhat odd song about a dragon who goes Christmas shopping one year with disastrous results. It's been somewhat of a tradition to do a skit of the song on Christmas eve: I remember fondly the version I directed during my teenage years that featured my brother David dressed in a newspaper-stuffed garbage bag playing the hapless Darcy while my various small siblings played the elves, shopkeepers, and forest friends.... Alas, today David is a surgeon in Texas and I am a staid novelist encsconced in Virginia with my own family, so our holiday skit-making days are behind us for now.

However, there are still single and young-married Domans at home, with time on their hands on Christmas Eve, and this year they decided to do their own version of Darcy. It was comadeered by my sister Jessy Sheguit, while Johnny Doman (of the John Paul 2 High team) videotaped, and the inestimable Joseph Doman did the puppets. Anna and Maria Doman (who are a high school student and high school teacher respectively) did special effects. And the Token Teenager (from the JP2High team) was on hand to witness the madness, and did what any sensible person would have done: stand by with a bucket of water in case the show turned into inferno...

They posted the resulting movie on YouTube, so I invite you to enjoy. I have no idea if you'll find it as funny as I do. But if you do, be sure to check out the Director's Cut by Johnny and Joe Doman. (PS: Ignore the other Darcy movie done by someone on drugs - same song, but not really worth watching... you want the one posted by jessysheg).

Also there's an interview with me as part 3 of their Christmas special (the December 25 post) at Radio Drama Revival. My husband and I talked about the Shadow of the Bear audio drama, which is enjoying a run on a couple of sites devoted to audio dramas including RDR. Check out the interview if you like.

A Blessed Christmas!!!!

Comments

The Real Katie said…
MARTIN DOMAN'S YOUR BROTHER?!? Oh my gosh!! I LOVE him! He has SUCH an amazing voice! He was at Fan The Fire (a youth rally that my diocese holds every summer) and I got to meet him! That's soo cool!
Angelicbob said…
thats hilarious. That Whittaker album is a staple in my family during Christmas. I remember as a kid my mother getting us eight kids to do Darcy the Dragon in a black light presentation. Also the Momma Mary song has become a popular one here. I guess we're not the only ones. lol.

Rob K
Victoria Rose said…
Thanks you for the Rose and Fish's wedding!!! It was bitter sweet. I love Paul....did he ever find his girl?
-Vicki
Ms. Adelaide said…
hahaha! i loved it, especially the directors cut, please tell your brother's its now my favorite youtube of all time
Anonymous said…
Yay! I found them! When I first read your post my heartbeat got a little faster... I thought maybe you had another fairytale book for us already :)
Elizabeth said…
lol, I like the little gnome/elf that's set onstage but then falls off immediately ;)
regina doman said…
Thanks everyone!

Vicki -- you have to read THe Midnight Dancers to find out what happens to Paul!
Anonymous said…
That was a funny video. I'd never heard that song before but seeing it with the puppet show I think made it funnier than it would have been otherwise! Your family is great.

Popular Posts